Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back in the Saddle...

Here we are into the second week of the year and we are still trying to get "back in the saddle" again, sort of...

I guess you could say Olivia has been the most successful at this, literally, since she resumed her horseback riding lessons last weekend after a short holiday break. (What started as a "summer thing" has not ended. As long as dad keeps taking her and we don't have to buy a horse - I'm ok with it.) Olivia has also resumed gymnastics practice (after finishing her level 5 competitive season in December) and started basketball. She asked to take ice skaing lessons too- answer - absolutley not !!! School continues to go well for her too.

Jack is getting back into the routine nicely also. Whereas Olivia would love to do afterschool activities EVERYDAY, Jack wants to have playdates EVERYDAY. I actually welcome this because after nearly 3 weeks off at Christmas, I am tired of playing Star-Wars and Guitar Hero (neither one of which I am very good at). Last we took Liv and Jack skating - it was the last thing they really wanted to do on break. Usually Olivia is the one really into it, but this time Jack was all over it. So much so that we had to go skating 3 times last week. By the end of the week, I had had enough, and signed him up for skating/hockey lessons which he started on Friday, his 4th day of skating for the week. At least it has derailed his recent interest in go-cart racing. I am still pushing for something much easier on us, ie. basketball or baseball. Brian hopes he can talk him into golf, which I suppose might work if Jack can drive the cart.

As for Brian and I, well you could say that instead of being "back in the saddle" we are still in the dirt feeling like we have just been trampled. We are both paying for our holiday over-indugences. After skiing for a day and a little too agressive re-entry into his fitness program, Brian was nearly cripple for a few days with back pain. I think he is glad to be back at the office, which is much less physically taxing than keeping up with the kids at home. It may also be possible that he threw out his back rocking out with the kids' playing RockBand/Guitar Hero (we are duking it out for worst player in the house). As for me, well, I am into my second week of training for the Boston Marathon (April). So far I have been skiing once and ice skating 3 times . What about the running- oh yeah - I did some running too - not nearly as much fun as the skiing and skating. After several weeks of lounging and eating during the holidays, all I can say is "Thank God for the elastic properties of spandex running tights!!!" I have been running in the dark so no one aactually has to SEE me in the tights... Our motto so far this year... No Pain, No Gain...

Speaking of pain, Grandpa Tony survived his partial knee replacement surgery yesterday - yeah! Talked to him today and some of the drugs appeared to be wearing off and the pain setting in. He has started re-hab and plans to come home on Friday. Good Luck Dad!!! You will be "back in the saddle" again before you know it, riding your bike for re-hab!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. It is great to keep up with the kids like this. I just might have to start one myself. It is nice for those of us that live far away. A brief glimpse into the lives of our extended family.