Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ski Trip

Since we got over a foot and a half of new snow this week, I'm in the mood to finish up with the details of the Rosebush/Ary Ski Adventure a week and a half ago. Uncle Terry and Cousin Ryan - you should have waited a few more weeks for the real spring snow!

Day One: Loveland

Everything started out so nice. This is Ryan and Terry on the top of the Continental Divide at Loveland Ski Resort, 12,000+ feet at the summit. We really could not have asked for a better day of skiing, the sun was out all day and the temps. were near 40, and best of all - no spring break crowds!

Do ya see that tiny little chairlift behind us (to the right of the middle pine tree)? That was the sight of the first "incident" of the day. After a few nice warm-up runs at the base, we decided to go for it and and head to the top. We rode the chair to the ridge and did a little hike over to the right (to an area that did not resemble a cliff) and began our descent. Uncle Terry's only wish for the day was that he did not ski over any rocks. Well - that did not last long.

About a third of the way down the bowl, CRASH, he was down. Ryan and I watched from below, oooh, aaah... He got up (good-he's not hurt) he picked up the skis (bad, something is wrong) he put down the skis (good- he's coming down) he stomped around (bad-he's mad) hands on hips, he stomped around some more (bad, bad...). Finally he came down. Good new, no injuries, bad news, Terry found the rocks and has the gouges in the bottom of the skis to prove it!


This is Terry after his recovery from the "Rock Incident", do you see the rocks behind him??? Unfortunately, that was just the beginning of our adventure for the day. After lunch, we went in search of some nice easy groomed runs to cheer up Uncle Terry. After a few great runs, our spirits were high and our confidence was back. We worked our ways across the mountain to the next blue run (hey - I swear that is what the map said!) About half way down, over a ridge we could not see from the top, it turned into what I would call a nasty, mogul infested, black run. When I stopped and looked back, I saw Terry spread eagle, flying between moguls. I was fairly certain this was not intentional. When he stopped, I was glad I was out of reach so he could not stab me with his pole. At that point he muttered a few words I could not make out (but had a pretty good idea what they were) and then he said he was done. He said something about seeing God, saw a trail into the woods and took off. Ryan and I waited for him at the bottom of the run (not sure Ryan was that happy with me with me either). Terry said he came out of the trees, took off his skis and kissed the ground. Since this was only the first day of a week long trip, I decided I was going to just follow them around for the rest of the day!

Skiing progressed nicely the rest of the afternoon. We rendezvoused mid-mountain to get on one of the lifts at the mid-lift re-entry point (so you do not have to ski all the way to the base to get back on the chair). What happened next was what I hope is a once in a life-time experience. To this day, the three of us agree we are not really sure exactly what happened. But, two of us (Ryan and I) agree that we are certain it was Terry's fault :) ! Somehow, after two girls struggled to get on the chair in front of us, we lined up for our chair (we, meaning Ryan and I). For some reason, Terry was about 5-10 yards in front of the loading area, at the edge of the drop off to the ski area below the lift. Before I really knew what was happening, Ryan was shouting "Uncle Terry, where are you going?", Ryan and I got on the lift, the lift proceed up and hit Terry about chest high. Terry struggled, unsuccessfully, to get on the lift. No one stopped the lift. Suddenly, Ryan and I were free falling from the lift. Bam - 5 skiers (the three of us and the 2 girls on the chair in front of us) plus a lift operator piled up on the hill below the lift. My first thought was, CRAP - so much for the Boston Marathon, I must be injured! Luckily, the only injury was to Terry's ego. We all walked away laughing, and skied to the base to call it a day. So, if you ever hear Terry say "Have I ever told you about the time I single handedly took out 5 skiers..." yes it is true!!!

Day Two : Copper Mountain
The next day, we all headed up to Copper Mountain to ski and spend the night. The kids headed off to ski school, giving Brian and I a chance to ski together with Terry and Ryan. The weather was fantastic again and we had a fun, and relatively "incident free" day!

Jack was a little bummed as he headed off to ski school, not because he didn't want to go, but because Ryan was not going. Pretty much since the moment Ryan arrived, Jack was all over him, sitting on his lap, holding his hand, talking non stop, etc. It became painfully clear that Ryan was favored over Uncle Terry. Ryan left his baseball hat for Jack when he left for home and it has been getting lots of wear. Jack has also taken to stalking Ryan since he left by sending him regular e-mails saying how "cool" he is!!!





We were shocked at how much progress Olivia and Jack made by the end of the day of skiing with their instructor, Jay. I should have known we were in trouble when we hooked up with them at the end of the day for a few runs together and they brought us to the terrain park at the top of the mountain. The kids said "we are all doing these jumps" we said "ya right, if you can do them we can too" fully not expecting them to make it over these massive jumps. Luckily, we all made it through them, some even with a little air:) Then it was off to what Jay referred to as "the longest tree run" on the slope. What he should of said was" if you see any trees between here and the bottom, that is where we are skiing." Brian, Ryan, Terry and I all started off into the trees. Terry bailed first, followed by Ryan. About half way down, they led us to what they called "the drop of doom" - I think it was shortly after that that I saw God in the trees and headed back to the safety of the groomed trails!


Back to the condo and the outdoor hot tub/pool. Gin and tonics all around (adults that is). Terry with a much needed toast to rocks, trees, chairlifts, jumps and the drop of doom - we have survived.















Olivia, Jack and Terry on a "double-dog dare" to lay in the snow and jump back in the pool.

More fun in the pool...












Uncle Terry - always the jokester!











OK - so the kids really do like Uncle Terry, not just Ryan! After a few fun packed days, we are all pooped out and ready for bed!!!











The next day, we headed over to do some tubing then back home. Terry and Ryan, stayed for a few more days to ski Vail and his the hot springs pool in Glenwood. What a great trip, with many laughs and memories, and thankfully no injuries!


See ya next year guys...

No comments: